When Jonathan and I were dating, almost every single time we would drive by a field of flowers, he would look over at me with a smile as he pulled over on the side of the road. I would sit there smiling and giggling like any young girl in love and watch as my handsome, sweet boyfriend would pick flowers to form a gorgeous wild Oklahoma bouquet. He would then walk to my side of the car and hand them to me with a kiss. I know, kinda too mushy to share, but.... this is my blog. The funny thing is, I would almost always sneeze the rest of the way home because apparently I am very allergic to wild flowers, especially when closed in a car with them. I don't think he ever realized why I would sneeze continuously. He knew I had allergies and assumed that it was just another sneeze attack; so with living out where there were lots of fields, the flowers kept coming! These moments are some of my favorite and most important memories in my life thus far. These are the memories that have kept me from loosing it many times :)
It's no secret life isn't always easy, and achieving a great marriage takes daily work. Jonathan has always been pretty good about the little things and I have been really good at not really noticing. One of my goals is to start noticing the little things rather they be the fact that he isn't afraid of doing the dishes, scrubbed my shower, or brought home some pretty flowers to brighten my day.
I have to admit that there have been many times throughout our marriage where Jonathan would bring me flowers and a couple of days later as they were dying I would think (and sometimes say) "Flowers are a huge waste of money, so babe you can just tell me you love me and save the money for something we need". I know, what an idiot!!! In my defense, when you are dealing with a "little" postpartum, are preggo again, the bank doesn't look too pretty and your about to spend a fortune on diapers, flowers just aren't a girls focus.
I still regret not noticing the little things and today I am trying better! That's the good news. When I look back, even with my less than grateful attitude, the moments where my husband walked in with some flowers and declared that they were for me and his little princess, those were the little BIG moments that got us through alot of things. He thought of us, and that's all that matters.
A couple of weeks ago I planned a big date night for Jonathan's 30th birthday. I got the house cleaned up and had the kids napping while I got ready for our night out. When J came home, the last thing I expected was for him to bring ME flowers on HIS birthday. Maybe that's why I loved those roses and literally cried when I threw them away. I think it was so selfless and sweet of him to do that.
He said that they were to thank me for putting up with him. I said, babe, you'd have to buy me a whole continent to pay me back for that.....LOL I'm just making this up! Relax!
I guess my gratitude and excitement over the flowers got me more flowers a week after they died. I can't believe how a simple bouquet of fresh flowers can enhance my mood every morning. When I walk into our entry hall and see the gorgeous colors from the sun shining down through the window, it makes me smile!
Lesson, be grateful for the little moments in life. Someday, you may look back and realize those were the BIG moments that held everything together.
Too pretty not to share!
These scream happiness :) J, if you read this, thank you babe! I love my flowers and am so grateful for all the little things you do for me and our girls! This was very thoughtful and sweet!



No comments:
Post a Comment